Coffee divides opinions, especially when it comes to health and weight loss. What you need to know about the caffeine drink – here is an overview.
Kassel – Caffeinated coffee is the most popular hot drink among Germans and is part of the daily routine for most people. Whether and to what extent coffee has a positive effect on health is still a matter of lively debate. However, some studies suggest a health-promoting effect. But the effect also goes far beyond that. Coffee is also considered a real secret weapon in the house and garden.
Of course, sport, sufficient exercise and a healthy and balanced diet are good for health and physical fitness. At the same time, they also effectively support weight loss, just as certain foods make it easier to lose weight. Some foods are healthy, especially in the evening, and help you lose weight. Scientific studies show that coffee, for example, is not only a source of energy, but can also help your body boost fat burning. Here is an overview of how coffee can help you lose weight and what you need to consider.
Coffee can help you lose weight – but when you drink it is crucial (symbolic image) © Evgenia Sunegina/ Imago
Lose weight with coffee: This is what caffeine does in your body
Coffee is a true power drink. Here's how caffeine works in the body:
- The caffeine it contains not only helps against fatigue and increases mental performance, but is also considered a mild painkiller. Thus, it is also used in some medications, as it slightly constricts blood vessels and can help relieve ailments such as headaches and migraines.
- At the same time, coffee provides your body with glycogen, which is needed to support the muscles.
- It contains valuable antioxidants that help the body neutralize free radicals. The best-known antioxidant in coffee is the so-called chlorogenic acids, which are supposed to inhibit inflammatory reactions in the body, for example.
- However, caffeine can also have a negative effect on sleep quality. It is therefore not recommended to drink coffee in the late afternoon or evening, as it can lead to difficulty falling asleep, insomnia and difficulty sleeping through the night.
- In addition, caffeine can stimulate the release of the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol. A study from Japan even warned against excessive coffee consumption in people with pre-existing conditions.
- Source: sat1.de, focus.de
As the health portal 24vita.de writes, caffeine also gets the metabolism going and stimulates fat burning (lipolysis) in the body.
Losing weight with coffee: this is how it works
How coffee can promote weight loss, we have summarized below:
Mallorca storm: torrential rain floods the island - videos show extent
Italian stewardess sits in prison in Saudi Arabia – death penalty threatens
Austria's exceptional alpinist falls 60 meters to his death at the Brenner Pass – son has to watch misfortune
New Maddie hope: Prosecutor's office now gives details of found objects in search operation
Weather forecast for the future makes you sit up and take notice: According to experts, many people have to leave their homes
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
- Coffee promotes digestion: Researchers found that coffee stimulates the intestines to contract. Therefore, coffee also helps against constipation.
- Coffee supports fat burning: Lipolysis ensures that both food and body fat are broken down into their individual components and used for the body's energy supply. That is, coffee is suitable for weight loss because it favors fat burning and, in the first place, prevents fat from being stored in your body.
- Coffee as an appetite suppressant: Coffee can reduce the feeling of hunger and appetite. This was confirmed by a study published in the journal The Obesity Society. The subjects studied felt full more quickly after drinking coffee and consumed less at mealtimes. The research team hypothesized that caffeine had an effect on the hormones leptin and peptide YY, which affect satiety. Another study showed that after doubling their caffeine consumption, subjects were able to reduce not only their weight, but also their body fat percentage.
- Source: sat1.de, fitforfun.de
The tricks and information mentioned in this article cannot replace a healthy and balanced diet. The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice and is not intended for independent diagnosis or treatment.
Doctor explains: Help with weight loss only with "black coffee" – timing is also important
As the physician Dr. Johannes Wimmer stated to the NDR, coffee only helps you lose weight "if you stick to black coffee". The expert advises against the variants with milk, sugar and syrup. According to Wimmer, these ingredients are often "real calorie bombs".
At the same time, the time of day when coffee is drunk also plays an important role in weight loss. According to this, experts recommend drinking coffee before 15 p.m. to achieve a positive effect – preferably in the morning between nine and eleven o'clock, because that's when the cortisol level in the body is lowest and the coffee can be processed well. Sport and a healthy diet also support weight loss.