The station around 1905. There, the entire logging of the area from Utting to Dünzelbach was loaded. © Private
Trains have been running through Türkenfeld for 150 years. On the occasion of the anniversary, municipal archivist Dieter Hess has delved into the history of the railway and wants to offer a series of events. There is a lot to tell.
Türkenfeld – In April 1869, the Bavarian state parliament decided to build 19 railway lines, including the one from Munich via Buchloe to Memmingen. The initially single-track, from 1906 double-track route runs via Türkenfeld. As early as June 1873, seven mail trains and a freight train stopped here every day, transporting milk, grain and timber to the state capital and beyond.
Logging loading station
The railway brought an economic boom, because Türkenfeld became the loading station for the entire logging of the area from Utting am Ammersee to Dünzelbach. In 1905, a sawmill settled next to the station. For the farmers, some of whose fields were not very productive, the transport of timber opened up an important additional income.
Those who were lucky enough to get employment on the railroad were even better off. He had a secure income and, unlike the peasants, was not dependent on the whims of nature and the weather. For example, barrier guards and so-called change guards were needed, who were responsible for the switches. They were even provided with comparatively well-equipped living space – with a kitchen garden and an attached laundry room "of a size that the Turkenfeld farmers' wives could only dream of," says Dieter Hess.
On a damp meadow on the outskirts of the village, a representative station building made of unplastered bricks was built. The pavilions with toilets attached to the sides no longer exist today, but the building does. In the meantime, however, it is used as a residential building. Until 1912, Türkenfeld was the site of the railway master's office and a water station. Then both were moved to neighboring Geltendorf.
In 1962, a steam locomotive passes Türkenfeld. © Private
Türkenfeld's future as a railway junction had already been settled a few years earlier, when the decision was made on the route of the Ammersee Railway. Originally, it was supposed to cross the Munich-Buchloe line in Türkenfeld, but there were difficulties in acquiring land. The farmers did not want to see their fields cut through by more rails. They also feared that in summer their dry wheat fields would be set on fire by flying sparks from the steam locomotives.
By the way: Everything from the region is now also available in our regular FFB Newsletter.)
Serious accident at intersection: woman trapped in car - by helicopter to the hospital
Munich woman throws car with coffee mug - police are looking for two drivers
TV show "jetzt red i": Small asylum summit in Marthabräuhalle
The party starts at the wheat beer carousel - and here it continues
Alleged daughter makes WhatsApp emergency call to 81-year-old – she reacts just right
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
When the monastery of St. Ottilien offered free space for the railway line and a station building, the decision was made. The Ammersee Railway left Türkenfeld on the left. And the monks, who until then had set off from here for missions to distant lands, had their own railway connection at the monastery in the future.
Worst accident happened in 1905
Part of the railway history is also a number of serious accidents, which occurred mainly in the early years. In 1897, a railway guard was run over between Grafrath and Türkenfeld. In 1898 and 99 wagons derailed, and in 1900 an incoming mail train collided with a shunting locomotive. The worst accident occurred in 1905, when the Munich-Lindau express train collided with a freight train west of Türkenfeld. There were several injured and one dead.
In 1967, the first electric locomotive arrived in Türkenfeld. Previously, the two railway bridges in the village had to be renewed to make room for the overhead lines. In 1972, just in time for the Olympic Games, the S-Bahn service through Türkenfeld was started.
As a prelude to a series of themed events, Dieter Hess will offer picture lectures on railway history on June 12, 14 and 15 at 19 p.m. in the municipal archive, Donauschwabenstraße 14. The number of seats is limited. Registration by phone (0 81 93) 99 97 37.
Also interesting: The S-Bahn in the Fürstenfeldbruck region
You can find even more up-to-date news from the Fürstenfeldbruck district on Merkur.de/Fürstenfeldbruck.