When you are passionate about cycling or regularly use a scooter to get around, the problem of storage in your home can arise. Living spaces are often limited in terms of storage, and finding a suitable place to store these means of transport can be a real challenge.
- September: what are the seasonal vegetables and fruits?
How to store your bike without losing space?
Are you an avid cyclist but running out of space to store your bike? Whether you store it in a shelter, bike park or in your garage, discover some practical storage tips and space saving.
The different storage solutions
There are ingenious storage solutions to store your bike on the floor, wall or ceiling while keeping your bike safe.
- Bike mount to the ground: If you have enough floor space, opt for a bike storage on the ground ready to use. Rack, support foot, light support, bike rack, gantry, kickstand, bike parking... are ideal for fixing cycles to the ground.
- Wall mounts: If you have a loose wall, you can attach a wall bracket securely to it like a rack to attach to the wall. This saves space on the ground.
- Ceiling mounts: If you have ceiling height, install wall hooks or pulleys and straps to hang your bike vertically. It is an ideal solution to keep the ground clear. Be sure to secure the hook to avoid any risk of falling.
- Vertical storage: The vertical bike rack and side wall mounts are designed to save space. Bike racks can accommodate multiple bikes by stacking them vertically, hooked by the front wheel, rear wheel or frame, which is especially convenient for families or condominiums.
- Integrated storage: in some homes, it is possible to arrange an integrated storage space specially designed for bicycles. This can be a dedicated closet or even a space under the stairs.
Your choice of bike carrier will be guided by the type of bike to be stored (city bike, road bike, folding bike, mountain bike, bmx, electric bike, etc.), its weight and the space available.
Read alsoHow to choose a bike for your daily commute?
Good practices for storing your bike
Before storing your bike, roughly scrape off the residue and dirt from the chain and tires. You don't need to clean the bike completely, but it will avoid dirtying your storage space. To protect your bike from dust and the elements, consider using a protective cover or the carrying bag of your machine. This will keep your bike clean and ready to ride at all times. Also get into the habit of regularly checking tire pressure, greasing the chain and keeping the brakes in good condition. A well-maintained bike is more pleasant to use and lasts longer.
If you have bicycle accessories such as a helmet, self-reflective vest, lights or padlock, store them with your bike to avoid misplacing them and save time when you go for a ride. By following these tips, your bike will stay in good condition and ready to take you on new adventures on two wheels.
How to store your scooter without losing space?
Discover now some ingenious tricks to optimize your space while keeping your precious scooter at hand.
The different storage solutions
- The most common option is to install a wall-mounted scooter holder. Secure it securely on a free wall, preferably at an accessible height, to hang your scooter vertically. This frees up floor space and keeps your scooter safe from shocks.
- Opt for folding shelves attached to the wall. You can unfold the folding shelf when you need to store your scooter and then fold it up to save space when you're not using it.
- Floor storage racks specifically designed for scooters are a handy option if you have floor space available. They keep your scooter in an upright position, ready to use.
- Provide dedicated storage space for your scooter in your furniture (dedicated closet, storage rack) or under a staircase, for example
Whatever type of storage you opt for, consider installing your scooter near a power outlet so you can easily charge your device.
Read alsoElectric scooter, bike: should you insure yourself when riding on two wheels?
Best practices for your electric scooter
If you own an electric scooter, you know how convenient it can be for your urban commute. However, it is just as important to store it well to extend its life and avoid problems.
Before storing your electric scooter, make sure it is completely turned off. This avoids wasting battery power and prevents any risk of short circuit. Avoid leaving your electric scooter outside, exposed to the elements. Instead, store it indoors, in a dry place and at room temperature. This will protect the battery and electronics from damage.
Take a few minutes to clean it. Remove dirt, dust and debris to avoid dirtying your storage space. To keep your scooter safe from dust and dirt, consider using a protective cover. She will keep it clean and ready to use.
If you don't intend to use your electric scooter for an extended period of time, consider removing the battery. Store it in a dry place at a moderate temperature to extend its shelf life.
Before hitting the road again after a storage period, check the tire pressure. Well-inflated tires ensure safer driving and better range. Make it a habit to regularly check the general condition of your electric scooter. Lubricate moving parts if necessary, and make sure the brakes are working properly.
If you store it in a shared place, use a padlock or chain to secure your electric scooter and prevent theft. Store your accessories (lights, charger, lock, etc.) with your electric scooter to have them handy when you need them.
By following these tips, you will be able to store your scooter efficiently while preserving space in your home. Your scooter will remain in good condition and will be ready to accompany you on your urban trips.