The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Nagorno-Karabakh: already 65,000 refugees, dissolution of institutions announced for 1 January

2023-09-28T09:01:22.722Z

Highlights: Nagorno-Karabakh: already 65,000 refugees, dissolution of institutions announced for 1 January. Armenia calls for community response. The entire population is expected to have left in the coming days due to the Azerbaijani offensive. Armenia, which has supported this territory for decades, did not intervene militarily this time, paving the way for the reintegration of the region to Azerbaijan. To add to the torment of the enclave, more than 100 people are still missing after a fuel depot stormed by residents exploded.


Local authorities announced the dissolution of the institutions as of 1 January. Armenia calls for community response


The exodus to Armenia continues from Nagorno-Karabakh. The number of refugees from the Armenian-populated enclave in the middle of Azerbaijan is 65,000, according to official figures provided on Thursday morning.

According to Armenian authorities, this corresponds to more than half of the official population of this breakaway region where Azerbaijan carried out a lightning offensive last week. "The state provides adequate housing to all those who do not have a predetermined place of residence," the Armenian government said.

" READ ALSO Flight from Nagorno-Karabakh: the striking images of the massive departure of refugees to Armenia

But the Armenian government has so far been able to house only 2850 people, which suggests a humanitarian crisis. "Armenia lacks resources and will not be able to do it without help from abroad," said political analyst Boris Navasardyan. According to him, this situation "will have serious repercussions on the political scene" against a background of "widespread discontent". The capital Yerevan has been rocked in recent days by a series of demonstrations against the prime minister, accused of passivity against Azerbaijan.

Baku, the Azerbaijani capital, opened the Lachinian corridor on Sunday. It is the only road connecting the enclave to Armenia. This decision was taken four days after the capitulation of the separatists and a ceasefire. It caused thousands of civilians to flee in the face of the arrival of Azeri forces.

/LP

Officially, Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountainous enclave that seceded from Baku with Yerevan's support for the break-up of the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) in the early 1990s, has about 120,000 inhabitants, mainly Armenians. The entire population is expected to have left in the coming days due to the Azerbaijani offensive.

VIDEO. Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenians burn their village to leave nothing to Azerbaijan

Accusations of "ethnic cleansing"

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan therefore accuses his neighbour of carrying out "ethnic cleansing". "The exodus of Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh continues. Our analysis shows that in the coming days there will be no Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh. This is an act of ethnic cleansing against which we warned the international community. He adds that "if the condemnations (of the international community) are not followed by adequate political and legal decisions, then these condemnations will become acts of consent with what is happening."

The Nagorno-Karabakh authorities have already anticipated this situation. They announced on Thursday the self-dissolution of the separatist republic and its institutions from January 1, 2024. The decree of the leader Samvel Shakhramanian establishes that consequently "the Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) ceases its existence".

Read alsoNagorno-Karabakh: why the conflict has escalated again between Azerbaijan and Armenia

In his decree dissolving the self-proclaimed republic, the separatist leader stresses that once the conditions for the return of the region to Azerbaijan's control are known, residents and refugees will be able to "individually make the decision to stay or return to Nagorno-Karabakh". Armenia, which has supported this territory for decades, did not intervene militarily this time, paving the way for the reintegration of the region to Azerbaijan.

To add to the torment of the enclave, more than 100 people are still missing after a fuel depot stormed by residents exploded on Monday night. The tragedy left at least 68 dead and 290 injured.

Source: leparis

All news articles on 2023-09-28

Similar news:

You may like

Trends 24h

News/Politics 2024-03-02T10:54:03.604Z
News/Politics 2024-03-02T09:04:50.258Z

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.