Status: 10.12.2023, 16:08 PM
Prince Harry shocks with a statement in court. He claims that the royal exit was not voluntary.
London – Almost four years ago, an announcement by Prince Harry (39) and Meghan Markle (42) caused a stir: The two revealed that they would retire as working royals. Since then, the house blessing in the British royal family has hung crooked. Now Harry surprises with statements that make this step appear in a whole new light.
Megxit: Controversy over Prince Harry's police protection in the UK
The son of King Charles III (75) has been in a legal dispute over police protection in the UK for some time. As things stand, as an "inactive" royal, he is no longer entitled to protection in his home country at taxpayers' expense. However, Harry's lawyers have challenged the landmark 2020 decision. The decision on police protection is now to be made on a case-by-case basis.
In court, however, Prince Harry did not agree with the claim that he had decided that he was no longer a "working member" of the royal family. This was stated by his lawyer Shaheed Fatima on Thursday in the London High Court. According to the report, Meghan and Harry allegedly did not resign of their own free will, but were urged to take this step.
Prince Harry: The move was a "forced" decision
Prince Harry let it be known that the move was not a free decision, but was made under duress. In a written statement to a London court, he stressed that he continues to see Britain as his home. The Duke of Sussex described his move to the U.S. about four years ago as a "forced" decision, according to a report by the Daily Mail. It says: "The United Kingdom is my home."
Prince Harry now claims that he and Meghan Markle did not voluntarily tackle the royal exit. © Imago/ Zuma Wire; picture alliance/dpa/PA Wire | Phil Harris/Daily Mirror (photomontage)
The son of the British king reaffirmed his love for Britain and expressed the wish that his children feel as comfortable there as they currently do in the USA. "This cannot happen if it is not possible to protect them on British soil," it continues. Harry also stressed that both he and his wife, Meghan, would be at risk if adequate protection was denied.
Stepmother Carmen Nebel also touched: Ella Endlich bursts into tears at "Christmas Hits" performance
They've grown up! Charlène of Monaco's twins celebrate her birthday
"Could he have spared himself": Frank Plasberg criticizes Gottschalk's "Wetten, dass..?" -Farewell
Sweden royals on austerity course: Population also suffers from the measures
Telling appearance: Charlène of Monaco shows up with unexpected company
Fancy a voyage of discovery?
Since 2020, the couple has been living in Montecito, California, with their two children, Archie, 4, and Lilibet, 2, while their relationship with the British Royal Family is said to be shattered. Despite this, there are always reports of plans for Prince Harry and his wife to make a royal comeback. Sources used: Daily Mail, t-online.de