Nico Hülkenberg has confirmed his Formula 1 finish for the upcoming season. It's not a resignation, it's the Formula One finish for 2020. Nobody knows if anything will come of it, "said the 32-year-old on Thursday in the paddock ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix. "I love this sport and I will be ready and fit if there is a chance for a comeback," said Hulkenberg.
After three years at Renault, he will be replaced by Esteban Ocon next season. A possible commitment to the racing team Haas has been crushed. Since the race in the USA, Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) and Alexander Albon (Red Bull) have been confirmed as drivers for the upcoming season, only the troubled veteran team Williams has not yet committed to a second driver alongside George Russell. Hülkenberg had recently ruled out a return to the racing team itself.
Hulkenberg is "pretty relaxed"
The Emmericher had entered the season 2010 in the motorsport premier class. Previously, he had won, among others, the junior class GP2. After a year at Williams and the pole position in São Paulo but he had not got a new contract and was a test driver to Force India, where he rose a year later to the regular driver. Hülkenberg also drove for Sauber and is since 2017 at Renault under contract. His contract ends after this season.
He does not know what Hülkenberg will do next year. "I got a few calls, but nothing is decided yet," he said. "I'm pretty relaxed."
That he has to look for a new employer, was already clear since the end of August. At the time, Renault announced that the contract with Hülkenberg would not be extended.