Berlin (dpa) - double world champion Florian Wellbrock has coped well with the Olympic postponement from this summer to 2021 by a little distance.
"I have put up with the cancellation of the Olympic Games in the meantime and will simply take my chances next year," said the freestyle swimmer of the German Press Agency. Last year Wellbrock became world champion over 1500 meters in the pool and over ten kilometers in open water.
"I am currently in the fortunate position that I can train with my friends at the Olympic base, of course under strict conditions," said the 22-year-old from Bremen. He trains in Magdeburg with the German team boss Bernd Berkhahn.
Location specialist Philip Heintz has also adjusted to the unusual conditions in Corona times. "I have now digested the shock of the Olympic refusal very well," he said, adding: "I was waiting for it and in my eyes it was the only thing they could have done." The games in Tokyo are now scheduled to take place from July 23 to August 8, 2021.
Heintz has decided to continue until then. "I like to swim again as I did when I was 18 or 20 years old," said the 29-year-old. "I really love being in the water again." The German championships should have taken place in Berlin this week - they were canceled due to the corona crisis.
Information about German swimming
Measures taken by the swimming association in the Corona crisis
Florian Wellbrock on Instagram
Philip Heintz on Instagram