Sebastian Vettel has to go to Ferrari - probably also because the four-time Formula 1 world champion recently made a lot of mistakes. And always missed the goals set by Scuderia. An analysis.
- Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari * go separate ways this season.
- In the shadow of Michael Schumacher : The four-time world champion at Scuderia competed with Mercedes (so far) in vain for a world title - and missed most of the goals set.
- Instead, Vettel repeatedly made misconduct - also against competitors and teammates. An analysis.
Munich / Maranello - Everything should have been very different. This time. Finally. Sebastian Vettel * had big plans with Ferrari before the 2020 season . The drivers' championship should be the sixth attempt. But then Corona came. And finally, Scuderia announced that the 32-year-old German will no longer be in the cockpit of the Italians with the Italians from 2021 - but will be replaced by the Spaniard Carlos Sainz .
“It will be my sixth year at Ferrari , of course I hope that this year the knot will burst and that we can be at the forefront from start to finish and will also be at the top in the end. That is our big goal, we are working towards that, ”said Vettel at Sport1 earlier this year .
Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari: An unfulfilled promise according to Michael Schumacher
But whether, when and how Formula 1 can really start due to the Coronavirus pandemic * 2020 is still completely unclear. The same applies to the future of the four-time world champion Vettel. At Ferrari , the 32-year-old is already a promise that has not been kept.
In the 2019 season at the latest, there was a lack of sporting success that the Heppenheimer in and next to the cockpit was repeatedly negative because he was thin-skinned - a record of the failures and missed goals :
- Formula 1 season 2016 : After the passable third place in the premiere season for Ferrari , this time the world championship should come. After a decent start to the season, in the last 13 races it is only enough for one third place! Ferrari does not compete for victories in the power demonstration of Mercedes * (19 of 21 victories).
Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari: Formula 1 driver gives frustration free rein
- Formula 1 season 2016 : The visibly frustrated Vettel gives free rein to his anger. "Why didn't you inform Kimi that he should let me pass?" He says to his team in Austria over the box radio. And in Monaco he says: "Guys, the car is getting worse and worse." There is talk of differences between the pilot and his workshop.
- Formula 1 2015 to 2018 : Ferrari dreams in vain of the first world title since 2007 (Kimi Raikkonen). Vettel had a total of 13 victories in four years by the end of the season. For comparison: Michael Schumacher * did it in just one season with his last World Cup title for Scuderia 2004. Ferrari never gets a grip on recurring technical defects - and apparently not the displeasure of its German driver either.
Vettel switches the boards #CanadianGP # F1 pic.twitter.com/MzBT7krpGs- Formula 1 (@ F1) June 9, 2019
- Formula 1 season 2019 - the scandal of Canada : This year is another disaster for the glorious Scuderia. After a second place in Monaco and pole position, Ferrari hopes for the first victory in Montreal - but Vettel misses it because of a five-second time penalty.
In the 48th lap he almost pushed Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), leader of the world championship, into the gang because of a driving error. He uses the pit radio to shoot the jury: “They are stealing the race from us. No, no, I don't like it. Where the hell should I go? That wasn't fair. ”He's not a fair loser afterwards - Vettel swaps the placement signs in front of his car and Hamilton's car in the pit lane.
Ferrari in Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel shoots Charles Leclerc
- Formula 1 season 2019 - the Zoff from Singapore: Vettel steals the victory of the early 20-year-old and much younger team-mate Charles Leclerc . The Monegasse led the race confidently for 19 laps, but then Ferrari Vettel rinsed to first place using a polarizing pit strategy - this time Leclerc raged on the pit radio: “What the hell. I don't understand Sebastian's undercut. I won't do anything stupid. I want the double victory. But it's just not fair. "
Served: Sebastian Vettel after his crash with Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc at the 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix.
© picture alliance / dpa / Marcelo Chello
- Formula 1 season 2019 - the disaster of Brazil : The final fiasco follows in the penultimate race. Both Ferrari are promising on the way, but then Vettel shoots Leclerc and both cars land in the gravel. At the end of a disappointing year there is only one win - the controversial one in Singapore.
* tz.de is part of the Germany-wide Ippen-Digital editors network
Rubric list picture: © dpa / Tom Boland