New York (dpa) - The decision whether the US Open of tennis professionals will take place this year despite the corona crisis is imminent. On Wednesday, ATP wants to inform the players in a video meeting about the current state of affairs.
A person responsible for the US Open should also be involved. The event in New York is scheduled from August 31 to September 13. So far, the organizers of the Flushing Meadows Grand Slam tournament have announced a decision to start next week. The worldwide tennis tour is currently suspended until July 31.
After it seemed for a long time that it would be impossible to hold a match in New York, which was particularly hard hit by the coronavirus pandemic, there are now signs that the tournament should take place after all. "My feeling tells me that they will play it out," said Germany's Davis Cup team boss Michael Kohlmann in Großhesselohe, where the national coach watched the start of the tournament series of the German Tennis Federation. "It is probably also about financial interests."
Most recently, plans had leaked that the US tennis association USTA would also like to host the Cincinnati Masters event in New York before the US Open - as a test run for the US Open. The players should be accommodated in airport hotels for a total of four weeks and have no access to Manhattan. In addition, each professional should only be allowed to take one trainer or supervisor with them to the system.
The world number one Novak Djokovic had heavily criticized these plans. Defending champion Rafael Nadal from Spain is also critical of the ideas. "I'm excited to see what they tell us tomorrow," said double specialist Kevin Krawietz. If the organizers give the green light for the tournament, he and his double partner Andreas Mies want to be there. "If they say it will be played, we will fly over and be there," said Krawietz.
Information about the DTB series