Juan Manuel Correa
Photo: Cal Sport Media / AP
Racing driver Juan Manuel Correa had a serious accident at the Formula 2 race in Spa 2019. The car of Frenchman Anthoine Hubert had been thrown onto the road in an accident, Correa could not evade in time.
Hubert died in the accident.
Correa suffered severe injuries, was in an artificial coma and had to be treated for months.
Well, a year and a half after the accident, Correa announced his comeback.
The 21-year-old Correa is driving this year in the Formula 3 junior racing series for the ART Grand Prix team, as the racing team announced on Monday.
"I'm extremely happy to be back after everything I've been through," said Correa: "My dream remains Formula 1, this is the first step in my comeback." In 2019 Correa was already a test driver at the Formula One 1 team Alfa Romeo.
more on the subject
Motorsport in Spa: Formula 2 driver Hubert dies after a serious accident
Formula 1 after the accident of Anthoine Hubert: A quick look into the deadly curve, continue by Karin Sturm
Formula 1 victory for Leclerc: "This is for Anthoine" By Peter Ahrens
It is uncertain whether Correa will be able to build on his previous achievements.
Although he has not driven a car for a year and a half, it is already a victory for him to be able to start again at all, said the American.
The Formula 3 season is scheduled to start on May 8th in Barcelona and will end on October 24th in Austin.
"Juan Manuel is an example of courage and perseverance and ART Grand Prix is proud to give him the opportunity to return to racing," said team manager Sébastien Philippe.
Icon: The mirror
ptz / dpa