Josep Maria Bartomeu
Manu Fernandez / AP
One day after his arrest in the course of the raid on the Spanish top football club FC Barcelona, ex-president Josep Maria Bartomeu was temporarily released.
The 58-year-old and his former advisor Jaume Masferrer were brought before a judge on Tuesday morning, but according to the court they "made use of their right not to speak."
The investigation continued despite the release, it said.
Police raided the club's offices on Monday.
In addition to Bartomeu, who resigned as president in October, managing director Oscar Grau and Roman Gomez Ponti, head of the legal department, were also arrested.
The two were released on Monday evening.
The raid was related to the "BarcaGate" affair last year.
The accusation is in the room that club officials are said to have commissioned a company to defame former and current players in the social networks, among other things, who had criticized the then President Bartomeu.
The aim of the campaign is said to have been star players Lionel Messi and Xavi as well as ex-coach Pep Guardiola.
According to Spanish media reports, Barca paid a million euros for it.
Bartomeu, on the other hand, had claimed the company was only hired to monitor social media posts.
The chaos comes at a bad time at the club of national goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
The Catalans will elect a new club president on Sunday.
The vote originally scheduled for January 24th had been postponed due to the corona pandemic.
Icon: The mirror
ara / dpa