The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

DFB-Pokal: VfL Bochum changes goalkeeper


Bochum's goalkeeper Manuel Riemann is a penalty specialist, actually on hold. Substituted before the penalty shoot-out against Augsburg, he did not parry any, but shot the decisive shot into the goal.

Enlarge image

Manuel Riemann (archive image)

Photo: Eibner-Pressefoto / Boia Gabriel / imago images / Eibner

After 53 minutes, VfL Bochum already looked certain winners after a 2-0 lead. Milos Panovic gave VfL the lead (12th minute), after the break he increased (53rd). Bochum seemed like the sure winner, but Augsburg didn’t give up: First Reese Oxford headed a free-kick cross into the goal in the 55th minute, and Ruben Vargas equalized two minutes later. In the regular playing time, both teams failed, it went into extra time.

There Augsburg got the bigger chances, but the strong Bochum goalkeeper Michael Esser kept his team in the game. Esser was not allowed to become a great hero in the due penalty shoot-out, because coach Thomas Reis changed the regular goalkeeper into the game with Manuel Riemann, known for his strength on penalties, shortly before the end of extra time. However, Riemann did not save a penalty, four times he was in the wrong corner, once Augsburg's Arne Maier shot over it. But then Riemann was the match winner after all: The goalkeeper stepped up himself and sank to make a decision.

It should be a big day for Waldhof, the last time they played in the second round of the DFB Cup was in the 2002/2003 season. But before the kick-off, a message from the club caused an uproar: Although the club is about to be promoted in the third division, the sporting director Jochen Kientz was released. President Bernd Beetz did not give reasons before the kick-off at Sky, only that it had to do with the 17 corona cases in the team. The third division game planned for October 16 at 1860 Munich had to be canceled due to the outbreak. "I don't want to go into any further details," said Beetz.

The team did not seem to be affected by the unrest, on the contrary: Waldhof took the lead early after Union goalkeeper Frederik Rönnow did not clear a cross properly and Alexander Rossipal dusted off (5th minute). Union was mostly harmless, but met through Kevin Behrens with the first chance to equalize (18th). In the second half, Waldhof pressed, again and again with the strong Adrien Lebeau, but he could not prevent an extension. There, Unions met Taiwo Awoniyi, who had failed in regular time to goalkeeper Jan-Christoph Bartels (90th + 2), to take the lead (94th). Kevin Behrens made the decision late (118th).

The game of the two second division teams remained uneventful in the first half, but suddenly became heated with the half-time whistle and a push from Daniel-Kofi Kyereh. In a sense, it was the belated start of a spectacular game, because after the restart it was also spectacular on the pitch: First a goal from Guido Burgstaller was denied (57th), then Leart Paqarada met with a soulful direct acceptance (63rd).

Dynamo's answer was not long in coming: Christoph Daferner scored after a cross from Christopher Löwe, who had previously been offside - there was no video evidence in the second round (66th).

The second Hamburg lead, this time by Max Dittgen (71.), lasted only a few minutes: St. Paulis Philipp Ziereis scored in his own goal to equalize again (73.).

The decision was only made in extra time with a hit from Christopher Buchtmann (101st).


Source: spiegel

All sports articles on 2021-10-27

You may like

News/Politics 2021-10-25T11:19:57.452Z

Trends 24h

Sports 2021-11-09T10:13:36.895Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy