Roberto Bautista Agut
Julian Finney/Getty Images
The next corona case occurs at the Grand Slam tournament in Wimbledon.
No. 17 seeded Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut was forced to withdraw ahead of his second-round match against Colombia's Daniel Galan on Thursday.
Bautista Agut, 34, tweeted that he had tested positive for the corona virus.
"Fortunately the symptoms aren't very severe, but I think it's the best decision."
Former Wimbledon finalists Matteo Berrettini from Italy and Croatia's Marin Čilić had previously tested positive and were therefore unable to compete in the first round.
Čilić had previously trained on Center Court with defending champion Djoković, who was number one in the field.
So far, there has been no known case in the women's field of participants.
Full house, no restrictions
There are no corona restrictions at the lawn classic and, for example, there is no obligation to wear a mask or to carry out self-tests.
After the cancellation of the 2020 tournament and the pandemic edition last year, the organizers had returned to normal.
With 42,000 visitors a day, the facility in south-west London is once again operating at full capacity.
The Frenchwoman Alizé Cornet only caused a stir on Wednesday when she said in an interview with the sports newspaper "L'Équipe" that there had been a "non-disclosure agreement" among the professionals at the French Open.
There are said to have been numerous corona cases at the Grand Slam in Paris – without the public knowing about it.
At the tournament from May 22nd to June 5th, there was no compulsory test or vaccination for the professionals.