The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said on Wednesday that it would ask Fifa not to replay the qualifying match for the 2022 World Cup against Argentina, interrupted last year after a controversy. of a sanitary nature.
This shock, initially scheduled for September 5, 2021 in Sao Paulo, was interrupted after only five minutes of play on the intervention of local health authorities, four Albiceleste players then playing in England being accused of violating the anti-Covid protocol.
Representatives of the Anvisa health agency and the federal police entered the field to end the meeting, in total confusion.
FIFA Disciplinary Committee decisions on Brazil v.
Argentina match: https://t.co/Tfl7yO0UO1 pic.twitter.com/LfOGY6AAja
— FIFA Media (@fifamedia) February 14, 2022
In April, Fifa decided that the match would be replayed on September 22, less than two months before the start of the World Cup in Qatar (November 20-December 18).
But the CBF explained this Wednesday in a press release that coach Tite and his assistants did not wish to play the match.
“In view of the position of our technical staff, we will ask Fifa that the match not be replayed,” said the president of the confederation, Ednaldo Rodrigues, quoted in the press release.
“Our priority is to win our sixth world title in Qatar.
If the staff does not recommend that we play this match, we will mobilize so that it does not take place, ”he insisted.
In its press release, the CBF said it was "ready to accept an agreement with Fifa and the Argentine federation" for the meeting to be canceled.
Argentina is also unwilling to play the game.
The president of the Argentine federation (AFA), Claudio Tapia, had already proclaimed in July "we do not want to play against Brazil", threatening to bring the case before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
This game less in the South American playoffs had no sporting consequences: the two selections qualified hands down for the World Cup, without the slightest defeat, Brazil first and Argentina second.