The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Pilot Gino Rea wakes up from coma


The family of the British motorcyclist, who suffered a serious head accident at the Suzuka 8 Hours, announces the rider's improvement

Gino Rea, in a file image from 2018. Mirco Lazzari gp (Getty Images)

Seven days after being put into a coma due to the terrible accident he suffered during free practice at the Suzuka 8 Hours, the family of British driver Gino Rea has sent a message on social media to confirm his improvement.

“This morning the doctor gave us good news.

His condition in the morning was stable.

Once they lowered the dose of numbing medicine, he opened his eyes and made eye contact in no time.

He could hold one hand, ”explained the environment of the pilot.

Rea, 32 years old and who runs in the team

FCC TSR Honda France, suffered a tremendous blow to the head that left him unconscious when he fell off the bike and hit the circuit protections.

Thanks to the quick intervention of the Suzuka services, he was evacuated to the hospital in a medical helicopter.

After a few days sedated, they did a CAT scan and it was determined that he suffered a concussion and serious head injuries, in addition to various fractures in the left clavicle.

Despite the seriousness, the family soon warned on the networks that it was not fatal.

“CT scan results showed signs of recovery with reduced swelling.

He is in stable condition and recovering from the usual side effects of trauma like this.

We look forward to a speedy recovery as we all know he is capable of it,” they wrote.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Gino Rea - Official (@gino_rea)

Time seems to prove them right.

“To keep him safe, he has been given sedation that will help with his recovery.

Elaine, Shannon and Peter visited him today, as did Isabella and I.

He opened his eyes in short bursts, moved his legs and arms many times, ”his family shared this Saturday.

Rea was injured at the same part of the Suzuka circuit where local driver Daijiro Kato crashed in April 2003 during the Japanese GP.

Due to serious injuries, he lost his life two weeks later.

Rea, a fighter, seems to turn the situation around.

"He's going in the right direction," says his family.

You can follow EL PAÍS Deportes on




, or sign up here to receive

our weekly newsletter


Source: elparis

All sports articles on 2022-08-13

You may like

Sports 2022-08-13T20:39:40.977Z
News/Politics 2022-07-02T18:21:50.262Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy