The president of the African Football Confederation (CAF) Patrice Motsepe announced Friday evening in Conakry the withdrawal of the organization of the African Cup of Nations (CAN) in 2025 in Guinea because the infrastructures are not ready.
Mr. Motsepe told the press that CAF would reopen the call for applications to host the continental competition in 2025.
Tomorrow, we will ask CAF to receive new applications because in the current state, the infrastructures and equipment are not adapted or ready for CAF to host (the CAN) in 2025 in Guinea
”, a he declared.
The Confederation is meeting its executive committee on Saturday.
Mr Motsepe clarified that CAF's decision actually dated back to July.
CAN 2025, which had been attributed to Guinea, we are not ready (to welcome it) for the moment in Guinea, and we must reopen this process
", he said.