The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

"My first contact and friend": Flick shocked by Bierhoff-Aus

2022-12-07T07:03:31.795Z

"My first contact and friend": Flick shocked by Bierhoff-Aus Created: 07/12/2022 07:56 By: Momir Takac, Korbinian Kothny, Antonio José Riether The early end of the German team at the World Cup has its first consequences. Oliver Bierhoff is no longer DFB director. Hansi Flick regrets his decision. Update from December 6, 11 a.m.: After Oliver Bierhoff’s resignation, there are now also the first



"My first contact and friend": Flick shocked by Bierhoff-Aus

Created: 07/12/2022 07:56

By: Momir Takac, Korbinian Kothny, Antonio José Riether

The early end of the German team at the World Cup has its first consequences.

Oliver Bierhoff is no longer DFB director.

Hansi Flick regrets his decision.

Update from December 6, 11 a.m.:

After Oliver Bierhoff’s resignation, there are now also the first reactions to the 54-year-old’s contract termination.

One of his closest employees, national coach Hansi Flick, only praised Bierhoff's work.

"My coaching team and I are finding it difficult at the moment to imagine how the gap created by Oliver's departure can be closed professionally and personally.

Our collaboration has always been characterized by loyalty, team spirit, trust and reliability,” said Flick.

Bierhoff and today's national coach celebrated their greatest success together by winning the 2014 World Cup.

Flick was Jogi Löw's assistant coach at the time.

“Cohesion was in the DNA of our team.

For me personally, Oliver was my first point of contact and friend within the team,” enthuses Flick about Bierhoff.

With Per Mertesacker and Christoph Kramer, two other world champions from 2014 already regretted Bierhoff's resignation.

Update from December 6, 7:17 a.m .:

The embarrassing performance at the World Cup has its first consequences with the resignation of Oliver Bierhoff.

His position as DFB director must now be filled.

The first names are already being traded.

The hottest traded is currently Fredi Bobic, who is currently the managing director of Hertha BSC and works as an expert on MagentaTV during the World Cup.

The

kicker

brought this personality into the conversation.

The name Matthias Sammer was also mentioned.

People like him, who "with a different perspective and a clear opinion could bring a new spirit to the DFB", should accompany the reform process of the DFB, Lothar Matthäus had already said before Bierhoff's end.

The record national player had even suggested Sammer as DFB sports director in July.

Oliver Bierhoff resigns: is Matthias Sammer returning to the DFB?

Sammer, who is currently an external advisor to Borussia Dortmund and was previously sporting director at DFB, also offered his help.

However, he made it clear to

MagentaTV

that he was not eligible for all of the positions to be filled.

also read

Ronaldo replacement shoots down Switzerland!

CR7 makes headlines right after the final whistle

Winter grilling with the SizzleBrothers – Bavaria blu burger taste explosion

Matthias Sammer (left) and Lothar Matthäus are traded as successors to Oliver Bierhoff as DFB director.

© IMAGO / Sabine Gudath

And what about Matthew himself?

For his part, Sammer brought the 61-year-old into play as Bierhoff's successor.

But he declined.

He was "too far away from the DFB" and due to other commitments "no time at all," said Matthäus.

Early World Cup: DFB director Oliver Bierhoff and the association dissolve the contract

First report from December 5, 2022:

Frankfurt – After the preliminary round of the German national team at the 2022 World Cup, a first personnel decision was apparently made.

Shortly after Brazil's 4-1 victory over South Korea, ZDF presenter Katrin Müller-Hohenstein announced that DFB director Oliver Bierhoff was leaving the German Football Association with immediate effect.

As a result, the 54-year-old, who has worked for the DFB since 2004, prematurely terminated his contract, which was valid until 2024, on Monday evening.

According to media reports, this was done by mutual consent.

The former national player, who shot the DFB team to the title at the 1996 European Championship, has held the newly created manager post of the national team since 2004 and became director of national teams and academy in 2018.

Now he has to give up his post.

"After 18 years in responsible positions at the German Football Association (DFB), I have resigned from my position as Managing Director National Teams & Academy with immediate effect.

I agreed on this today with President Bernd Neuendorf.

I'm paving the way for new decisions," the former attacker was quoted as saying in a press release.

Source: merkur

All sports articles on 2022-12-07

You may like

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy