The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Football: in Australia, the Melbourne derby stopped after violent overflows in the stands


Protesting the Australian Football League, Melbourne Victory supporters unpinned during the game against rivals Melbourne

While the eyes of the world are on Qatar, everyday football continues in some countries and is sometimes played not without some turbulence.

This was the case this Saturday morning on the other side of the planet, in Melbourne where a derby was being played announced in an electric atmosphere.

In the 21st minute of play, a group of Melbourne Victory supporters, who were opposed to the Melbourne City club, invaded the lawn after violently attacking MCFC goalkeeper Tom Glover, guilty according to several witnesses and local media of throwing a smoke bomb in the direction of the stand which had previously been thrown on the lawn.

An act that lit the fuse for a group of fans who decided to invade the field.

The images show that Glover notably received, in the face, a metal bucket which cut his cheek.

City goalkeeper Tom Glover is assaulted with a bin as fans invade the pitch.

What happened to just walking out?


— Neil Sherwin (@neilsherwin) December 17, 2022

The reason for this initial anger from Melbourne supporters?

An announced protest against the Australian Football League, the A-League, which decided a few days before to sell the hosting rights of the championship final to the city of Sydney, while this was traditionally awarded to the team which ended the championship at the top of the classification, the final being played between the first two teams in the general classification.

A sale, valued at 15 million dollars by the Australian media, to a government tourism body which did not pass to the supporters.

Tom Glover bleeding from the face as he's rushed off the field.


— Phillip Rollo (@ByPhillipRollo) December 17, 2022

They had announced their desire to leave the stadium after the 20th minute of play in this derby.

This 20th minute was, finally, that of the beginning of the overflows which will have pushed the referee of the meeting to stop it definitively, while Melbourne City FC, leader of the championship, led 1 to 0, "in accordance with the law 5.3 of the Laws of the Game in order to protect the integrity of the match," the Australian FA said in a statement.

“Such behavior has no place in Australian rules football.

A full investigation must be opened immediately, and severe sanctions will be taken.


“The Australian Professional League (APL) is coordinating with the Australian Football Federation (FA) regarding the consequences of these events, specifies the League for its part.

Another press release will follow soon.


Source: leparis

All sports articles on 2022-12-17

You may like

News/Politics 2023-03-27T14:54:23.761Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.