Alves announced his departure from Barcelona in mid-June 2022 and then signed with UNAM Pumas in Mexico City
Photo: Agustin Cuevas/Getty Images
Spanish prosecutors have filed a request for pre-trial detention without bail following allegations of sexual assault against Brazilian soccer star Dani Alves.
A spokesman announced.
Alves had previously been taken into police custody in Spain following allegations of sexual assault.
This was announced by a spokesman for the Catalan police.
Alves had turned himself in to a police station in Barcelona because he was under investigation.
'He came into Les Corts police station this morning, he was summoned.
He was taken into police custody," the police said.
A woman made serious allegations against the 39-year-old in early January.
According to her statement, he is said to have touched her private parts while dancing at the Sutton nightclub in Barcelona.
Friends of the woman then alerted the club's security staff.
She later underwent medical examinations at a hospital in the Catalan capital.
Two days after the alleged sexual assault, the woman reported the footballer, and a court in Barcelona opened an investigation.
According to local press reports, the incident happened on the night of December 30th to 31st.
On January 5, however, the footballer told the Spanish TV channel "Antena 3" that he had not attacked anyone and that he did not know the plaintiff.
At today's hearing, Alves continued to deny the allegations.
He was taken to the Ciutat de la Justícia in Barcelona, where he is due to appear before a judge.
Dani Alves played 408 games for FC Barcelona, winning the Champions League three times with the Catalans.
In addition to Barça, Alves was also active for Sevilla FC, Sao Paulo FC, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus.
The Brazilian is now under contract in Mexico with Mexico City's UNAM Pumas.