FC Barcelona will be able to register Gavi as a LaLiga first-team player before tonight, when the formalization of the winter transfer window closes.
A Barcelona commercial judge has overturned the decision adopted by the body chaired by Javier Tebas, which had vetoed the registration of the midfielder for the alleged breach of the so-called financial
The magistrate agrees with Barça and authorizes, in a precautionary manner, the registration of the midfielder because not doing so could mean "irreparable damage" to the club.
And he reproaches LaLiga for its veto of the player based on "barely identified" arguments.
Thus, Barça will be able to count on Gavi -indisputable in Xavi Hernández's line-ups and a key part of the team- as a full-fledged player of the first team from now on.
The 18-year-old young star renewed his relationship with the club in September until 2026. The new contract supposes "a substantial improvement in economic conditions" and sets a termination clause of 1,000 million that the club could only claim if Gavi is registered, this Tuesday, in the first team.
Faced with "the risk that third-party clubs could make offers that would lead the player to activate the unilateral termination clause" without fear of being penalized, the judge reasons, "the risk of sporting and economic damage to Fútbol Club Barcelona would be unquestionable."
Hence, he has agreed to the precautionary measures requested by the club.
The judge admits that the fight for Gavi's registration arises "in the context of a conflict situation" between the League and Barça, which has given rise to "out-of-court requests, legal proceedings" and demonstrations in the media.
Both entities maintain a long dispute over the criteria of
fair play since the departure of Leo Messi to PSG.
LaLiga's "unilateral" criteria
Events have precipitated in the last week.
Last Tuesday, Barça sent Gavi's contract to LaLiga for his immediate registration in the first team.
The club considered that, after releasing defender Gerard Piqué and transferring striker Memphis Depay to Atlético de Madrid, it had overcome the possible economic and financial obstacles that, until then, prevented this process.
The next day the jug of cold water arrived.
LaLiga said that it was not possible through an email that, says the judge, "relies on rules and interpretive criteria established unilaterally" by the League with few arguments.
In a public act, Tebas even said that Barça had planned "a deficit of more than 200 million euros" for next season, which, in his opinion, made it impossible for Gavi to register.
The judge makes LaLiga ugly that even today, a few hours after the winter market closes, it has not given an "answer" to Barça's request for review, which has had to urgently appeal to the courts.
In its request for precautionary measures, the club denounced that LaLiga's refusal was "arbitrary" and "responds to a policy of harassment of FC Barcelona for decisions taken in other sporting and economic fields."
In his resolution, magistrate José María Fernández-Seijo suspended LaLiga's decision and ordered that, "immediately after notification of the corresponding order", allow the club to complete "the necessary procedures" to register the player "before the 23.59″ this Tuesday.
You can follow EL PAÍS Deportes on
, or sign up here to receive
our weekly newsletter