Star of David in the prayer room of a synagogue (symbol image)
Photo: David Indian song / dpa
After allegations of anti-Semitism, the Berlin Football Association will take action against the Vice President of CFC Hertha 06, Ergün Cakir.
The BFV is preparing to initiate a sports court procedure, it said in a statement.
»From the point of view of the Berlin Football Association, the statements made by Ergün Cakir are completely unacceptable and incompatible with the values enshrined in the statutes.
The initiation of a sports court procedure at the request of the presidency is therefore the logical consequence," said association president Bernd Schultz.
Son already banned for two years
Anti-Semitic incidents occurred at a youth game between Hertha 06 and TuS Makkabi on November 13 last year.
Two youth players were then banned for two years, including Cakir's son.
"My son will hate the Jews for the rest of his life," Cakir then said in an ARD documentary that aired at the end of January.
Cakir also said in the article: "If you want to talk to someone, there is no one you can sit down and talk to, but they say from the start: We are Jews, we have the right, we can do anything , what we want.
What disappoints me about the Germans is that they play along.«
Cakir told the German Press Agency that he would have found a punishment other than a ban that would also try to reduce anti-Semitism.
According to a statement to the BFV, on Monday the CFC Vice President apologized "for the behavior of the sanctioned players and admitted to errors in relation to his statements".
In the course of the sports court proceedings, it will also be checked whether CFC Hertha 06 is ready to take sustainable steps to combat anti-Semitism, said BFV boss Schulz.