The legs may shake at the Oceane stadium in Le Havre next Friday. The Normans, leaders without interruption since the 14th day, were up to 11 points ahead of their runner-up, but will find themselves playing their rise in Ligue 1 and the title of champions of Ligue 2 on the 38th and last day against Dijon. The fault to three snags in a row in their last three outings. The latest took place this Friday night in Bastia (1-1), where they could have validated their return to the elite for the first time since the 2008-2009 season in case of victory.
The underperformance of Luka Elsner's men leaves his competitors, Metz and Bordeaux, three points. But with a better goal difference for Metz (+27, +26 for Le Havre) and a slightly worse one for Bordeaux (+24), a defeat on the last day could be fatal.
The Girondins de Bordeaux, who will host Rodez next Friday, could even have equalled the number of points of the HAC if they had beaten Annecy this Friday. But David Guion's men also put obstacles in the wheels by losing in the Alps (1-0). Finally it was FC Metz who made the best operation of this 37th day at the top of the table. The Lorraine won in Sochaux (1-0) and stole the second place, synonymous with climbing to Ligue 1, in Bordeaux. They will have their fate in their hands against Bastia on Friday.
Here are the different possible scenarios for Day 38:
Le Havre goes up:
- If he wins or draws against Dijon.
- If he loses but Bordeaux and Metz do not win.
- If he loses, let Bordeaux and Metz win, but he keeps a better goal difference than the Girondins.
- If he loses but only Bordeaux or Metz wins.
- If he loses but Bordeaux does not make up the difference in goal difference.
FC Metz goes up:
- If he wins against Bastia and keeps a better goal difference than Bordeaux.
- If he wins against Bastia, but Le Havre loses to Dijon. It doesn't matter what Bordeaux results are.
- If he wins against Bastia and Bordeaux does not do the same against Rodez.
- If he draws against Bastia and Bordeaux does not win against Rodez.
- If he loses against Bastia and Bordeaux also loses against Rodez.
The Girondins of Bordeaux rise:
- If they win against Rodez, let Le Havre lose to Dijon and they have a better goal difference than the Normans.
- If they win against Rodez, that Metz also, but they score four goals more than the Lorrains.
- If they win against Rodez and Metz does not win against Bastia.