The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Incidents during the OM-OL match: two Lyon fans on trial in January for giving Nazi salutes and racist shouts

2023-12-07T18:56:48.265Z

Highlights: Two Lyon fans will be tried on January 16 in Marseille for Nazi salutes and racist shouts. The incidents led to the postponement of the Ligue 29 match between OM and OL on October 1. The two men, aged 33 and 34, are believed to be members of or close to the far-right fan group "Mezza Lyon" Members of this small group were convicted in 2012 for racist graffiti in a premises in Saint-Étienne. The third fan arrested had his police custody lifted on Tuesday evening.


The two men, aged 33 and 34, are believed to be members of or close to the far-right fan group "Mezza Lyon".


Two Lyon fans will be tried on January 16 in Marseille for Nazi salutes and racist shouts during the incidents that led to the postponement of the Ligue 29 match between OM and OL on October 1, the prosecutor's office announced on Thursday. A total of three Lyon fans were arrested in the Lyon region and then placed in police custody in Marseille on Tuesday, as part of the investigation opened by the Marseille prosecutor's office for "incitement to racial hatred and racial insults" after the Nazi salutes and monkey chants of several Olympique Lyonnais supporters at the Stade Vélodrome on October 29. The third fan arrested had his police custody lifted on Tuesday evening.

Following these incidents in the stands and the excesses outside the stadium, the stone-throwing of the OL players' bus and a bus of Lyon supporters, this match of the 10th matchday of Ligue 1 was postponed to December 6. And it went off without a hitch on Wednesday, this time in the absence of the Lyon supporters, who had been banned from travelling, with a 3-0 victory for OM.

The two men brought before the court on Thursday, aged 33 and 34, have been placed under judicial supervision with "a ban on attending official or friendly matches of OL", "obligation to score at half-time" of these matches and "ban on appearing in Marseille", according to a statement from the Marseille prosecutor's office. They are said to be members of or close to a group of Olympique Lyonnais ultras supporters called "Mezza Lyon", a group not recognised by OL.

Fans banned from travelling for a match

In the parking lot where the 600 Lyon fans allowed to come to Marseille on October 29 were installed, "some of the Lyon fans made Nazi salutes and monkey cries aimed at the Marseille supporters," Marseille public prosecutor Nicolas Bessone said the day after the incident. OL had "strongly condemned the unacceptable racist behaviour of individuals in the parking lot" and "asked for videos to identify the perpetrators".

Read also"There is a feeling of impunity": who are the Lyon ultras accused of Nazi salutes on the sidelines of OM-OL

According to images posted on social media, members of the "Mezza Lyon" group, linked to the far right and officially not welcome in the parking lots, had waved their black flag bearing a white map of France on a black background. After these events, the group of supporters of the "Bad Gones" denounced "an infiltration of the neo-Nazi group Mezza Lyon in the Lyon parking lot", in the front row of their corner of the stadium. Members of this small group "Mezza Lyon" were convicted in 2012 for racist graffiti in a premises in Saint-Étienne.

Following these racist acts on 29 October, Lyon fans will be banned from travelling for one match and three suspended in Ligue 1, the disciplinary committee of the Professional Football League (LFP) decided on Wednesday.

Source: leparis

All sports articles on 2023-12-07

Similar news:

You may like

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.