The virus (again) won: Event organizers learned from experience decided to postpone the event until the end of June • "Due to the ever-changing global situation we decided to postpone the conference", the organizing company said • Last February the conference was canceled after a number of leading companies canceled their arrival
GSMA CEO John Hoffman // Photo: AFP
Last February the annual Mobile Conference in Barcelona, MWC 2020, was the first major event canceled due to the outbreak of the Corona plague.
Now, following the resurgence of global morbidity and no vaccine on the horizon, GSMA, the organization behind the exhibition, has decided to bring forward and postpone the next event - scheduled to take place in March 2021 - to June.
Last year the decision to cancel the show came with almost no choice - after a number of leading companies announced they would not attend the conference due to the virus outbreak - including LG, Sony, Facebook, ZTE, Intel, Amazon, Ericsson and Nvidia.
Currently, the MWC 2021 conference is expected to be held from June 28 to July 1.
"With the ever-changing global situation and after consultation with our board and our leading exhibitors, we have made the decision to postpone the event. The health and safety of the exhibitors, participants, staff and city people are paramount," the event organizers said.
"We were surprised by the support of all our partners and customers who remain dedicated to ensure the successful existence of the MWC21 exhibition in Barcelona," said John Hoffman, CEO of GSMA.
"It's more than just an event. It's an experience that brings the whole industry together and provides a platform to showcase the power of connectivity so that people, the industry and society thrive."