This had not happened for fifteen years.
An Australian teenager has died after being stung by a very poisonous jellyfish, local health officials say.
They took the floor this Thursday to tell in more detail the tragedy that occurred on February 22 and until then kept at their discretion.
Health officials reveal the 17-year-old was stung on February 22 while swimming off the small town of Bamaga, located in the far north of Queensland state.
He was taken by helicopter to a hospital, where he eventually died on March 1, police said.
A jellyfish nicknamed "hand of death"
The Australian box jellyfish or Chironex fleckeri is the most poisonous jellyfish known to date, which also earned it the nickname "sea wasp" or "hand of death".
How cool yet also how deadly!
This is one of the Chironex fleckeri individuals we caught this morning up in Port Musgrave, Mapoon #Jellyfish #AcademicTwitter @jcu @CoralCoE pic.twitter.com/SW5D4REZpR
- Scott Morrissey (@ScottJMorrissey) December 2, 2020
It lives mainly in the tropical waters of the north of the immense island-continent, where swimmers are advised, during the southern summer, to wear a swimsuit covering the entire body or to avoid swimming.
In La Hague, dangerous jellyfish washed up on the beach
According to marine biologist Lisa-Ann Gershwin, this is the first box jellyfish death from Australia recorded since 2006. “Unfortunately, the (previous) death also occurred in Bamaga,” she said. stated on ABC television.
The biologist is reassuring, adding that such a fatal outcome is avoidable, but people far from a city hospital are particularly vulnerable.