The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Violent clashes, five injured: what we know about the Redon rave party


Gendarmes and revelers clashed throughout the night from Friday to Saturday during a free-party prohibited in Redon (Ille-et-Vilaine).

Barely 7 months ago, the huge New Year's Eve rave party in Lieuron, Ille-et-Vilaine sparked controversy in the midst of a health crisis.

This time, it is in Redon, 30 kilometers further, that violent clashes broke out between 1,500 party-fighters who were trying to set up a free party in a field and the gendarmerie, on the night from Friday to Saturday.

1,500 revelers who refuse to leave

Some 1,500 revelers tried to settle near Redon on Friday evening, despite the prefectural ban.

They have set their sights on the racetrack sector of this city, reports France Bleu Armorique.

The gendarmes intervened to prevent and disperse this gathering.

But tensions quickly erupted with the police, targeted by various projectiles: petanque balls, pieces of cinder block, firecrackers ...

Journalist Rémy Buisine evokes the use, on the law enforcement side, of numerous tear gas to evacuate the premises.

The tension is mounting minute by minute here, tear gas is used without interruption in the direction of the hundreds of people who are trying to set up a free-party.

- Remy Buisine (@RemyBuisine) June 18, 2021

"Totally inexcusable violence", reacted this Saturday morning Emmanuel Berthier, prefect of Ille-et-Vilaine, evoking "violent individuals who refuse to leave the place" and a long night of struggle, "for more than 7 hours" .

400 gendarmes were mobilized during the night.

“These people have gone wild.

One can wonder about the intentions of those who joined this festive gathering ”points on BFMTV Maddy Scheurer, spokesperson for the national gendarmerie, report to the firecrackers and projectiles with which the demonstrators were provided.

Seven wounded, one hand torn off

These particularly tense clashes left seven injured, according to an initial assessment.

Or five gendarmes, two of whom were transferred to Redon hospital, and two revelers, one of whom, aged 22, was seriously injured since he lost a hand, in circumstances which remain to be determined.

"An investigation was carried out by the Rennes prosecutor's office to shed light on this dramatic incident" indicates the prefect.

An evacuation that continues

The situation calmed down this Saturday morning, but several squadrons of gendarmes are still on site to evacuate the scene.

“Evacuation operations are underway.

The objective is that we can evacuate the area without deploring new injuries, ”reports the spokesperson for the national gendarmerie.

The prefect of Ille-et-Vilaine mentions "several hundred" people still there.

"I ask the participants very clearly to leave the place," he urges.

The evacuation of the rave parties has been debated since the death in 2019 of the Nantes native Steve Maia Caniço, after an intervention by the police during the music festival.

Source: leparis

All tech articles on 2021-06-23

You may like

Life/Entertain 2021-06-23T18:38:25.029Z

Trends 24h

Tech/Game 2021-07-26T12:48:42.482Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy