The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Bodegraven-Reeuwijk: Twitter doesn't have to look for fake stories itself

2022-10-04T13:07:46.241Z

It's about satanism and child abuse: The municipality of Bodegraven-Reeuwijk would like Twitter to take tougher action against false claims that damage their reputation. Now a court has decided.



Enlarge image

The Vredehof Cemetery in Bodegraven-Reeuwijk: A place of pilgrimage for some social media users

Photo: Robin Utrecht / picture alliance

In the fight for its reputation, the municipality of Bodegraven-Reeuwijk suffered a setback on Tuesday.

A Dutch court has rejected their request that Twitter do much more to address unsubstantiated claims that a satanic pedophile ring was active in Bodegraven in the 1980s.

The District Court of The Hague concluded in summary proceedings that Twitter "has currently done enough to remove illegal content related to the 'Bodegraven story' from its platform".

In this assessment, the court referred, among other things, to the permanent blocking of a Twitter account that had spread defamatory and inflammatory tweets on the subject.

The community of around 35,000 had sued Twitter, demanding the service delete all messages relating to the fabricated stories of the abuse and murder of children in Bodegraven.

When strangers bring flowers

According to the Reuters news agency, the fake stories have been circulating since 2020 and put Bodegraven at the center of online conspiracy myths.

Based on the stories, for example, people from outside are said to have traveled to the local cemetery to lay flowers there and write messages to the graves of dead children.

more on the subject

  • QAnon Ideologues in Germany: Influencers of MadnessBy Max Hoppenstedt, Marcel Rosenbach and Wolf Wiedmann-Schmidt

  • False reports and fact checks: How I became the source of a lie on FacebookA Netzwelt newsletter by Martin U. Müller

The district court has now said it will not order Twitter to voluntarily remove further tweets about Bodegraven from accounts other than the one already suspended.

However, it asked the company to respond to concrete deletion requests from the community as quickly as possible.

Twitter had argued that it was impossible - as requested by the community - to develop a filter that would find problematic content about Bodegraven without also affecting legal content.

Three men accused of creating the Bodegraven myths are currently in prison.

They had been convicted in other court cases involving incitement and death threats.

The threats were directed at Prime Minister Mark Rutte and former Health Minister Hugo de Jonge, for example.

A year ago, the three men were ordered by a court to delete their tweets about Bodegraven.

mbo/Reuters

Source: spiegel

All tech articles on 2022-10-04

You may like

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy