Justice ruled on Monday on the fate of the three men prosecuted for the assault of Jean-Baptiste Trogneux. One of them was acquitted, another sentenced to 24 months in prison, 12 of which were suspended, and the last, the main suspect, to 30 months in prison, 15 of which were suspended. The public prosecutor had requested up to 3 years in prison.
Brigitte Macron's great-nephew, Jean-Baptiste Trogneux, was attacked on May 15 on the sidelines of an undeclared demonstration against the pension reform. The three respondents are aged 20, 22 and 34. All three have marginal profiles. They were originally scheduled to stand trial on 17 May, two days after the incident, for gang violence. But their lawyers had asked for more time to prepare their defense.
" READ ALSO Trial of the aggressors of the great-nephew of Brigitte Macron: who are the three suspects judged?
They appeared in pre-trial detention. This placement had been justified by the president of the court because of "the risk of repetition of the facts". The prosecutor of the Republic of Amiens, Jean-Philippe Vicentini, had made the request, arguing that, "in democracy, we must speak, we can not knock".
Owner of the famous chocolate factory founded by Brigitte Macron's great-grandfather, Jean-Baptiste Trogneux, 30, was molested in Amiens in front of his home, located above his business, by several people who participated in an undeclared demonstration, according to his father, Jean-Alexandre. According to police sources, he received four days of total incapacity for work (ITT).
"We can talk about social cases"
According to his lawyer, Franck Delahousse, he wanted to "defend the window of his store, already targeted several times". The chocolate factory has been under police surveillance at every event in recent years.
Among the defendants, already convicted of violence and assault, the youngest, Florian C, is illiterate, the oldest, Yoan L, is under curatorship. "In 15 seconds, we realize that we need a psychiatric expertise," said the latter's lawyer, Ibrahima Ndiaye, at the opening of the May 17 hearing. "We can talk about social cases," said Marc Blondet, the lawyer of the third defendant, Adrien F, who struggles, according to him, to read and write. "These are young people who have a chaotic journey, difficulties especially of a psychological nature," he said.
Four other people arrested in this case were released after their police custody. A 16-year-old girl, also prosecuted, is due to be tried later by a juvenile judge. As soon as the facts were revealed, voices on both the left and the right were alarmed by the violence of the political debate, the President of the Republic, Emmanuel Macron, denouncing "unbearable and unspeakable acts". Brigitte Macron was indignant at the "cowardice" of the authors.