After the nights of riots, justice continues its work. Fourteen people have been indicted for the fire of the town hall of Mons-en-Barœul (North), in the Lille agglomeration, during the violence in France in June after the death of Nahel, 17, killed by a police officer, announced Friday the Lille prosecutor's office.
These people were indicted on July 13, 24 and 25 including charges of "intentional violence against persons holding public authority", "participation with a weapon in a gathering" and "participation in a criminal association to commit a crime", said the prosecutor's office in a statement. "Six have been placed in pre-trial detention", the other eight "are under judicial control", added this source.
On the night of 28 to 29 June, the town hall of Mons-en-Barœul, inside which were three municipal policemen, as well as surrounding municipal buildings, were attacked and set on fire. Investigations by the judicial police led to the arrest of 11 people, including a minor, between 1 and 3 July.
" READ ALSO Urban violence: how justice is organized to deal with the influx of rioters to judge
Nine of them had been indicted for the first time in early July, but the court had annulled this measure for a procedural error. The prosecutor's office had in the wake restarted the procedure.
In addition, two individuals appeared Thursday in immediate appearance for "provocation to commit a crime" and "incitement to arm against the authority of the State", facts committed via social networks. One was sentenced to "twelve months in prison, suspended for 24 months with provisional execution," the prosecutor's office said. The second requested time to prepare his defence and was placed under judicial supervision pending his appearance on 10 October at 14 p.m.