He had been found on the public road in a sensitive area of Le Mans (Sarthe), shot and had succumbed to his injuries in hospital. A year after the events, 11 people have been indicted for "murder in an organized gang" for the death of the 37-year-old man, probably "in connection with drug trafficking," the city's prosecutor's office announced on Monday.
On November 4, 2022, in the evening, a man "was shot dead on the public highway in the immediate vicinity of a deal point," the prosecutor's office said in a statement. The police had been alerted by "local residents alerted by gunshots". Transported to the hospital in Le Mans, the victim "of foreign nationality in a legal situation" died in the evening. An investigation for "intentional homicide with premeditation" had been opened.
Read alsoLe Mans: three individuals jailed after the shooting death of a man in November
It made it possible to "identify the shooter and a team of criminals actively participating in the animation of the deal point" and "to determine that a physical altercation had taken place the day before the events between the perpetrator of the fatal shooting and the victim," according to the statement.
Between March and November 2023, "11 defendants aged between 17 and 25 were arrested and placed in police custody". They were indicted for "murder by an organized gang and placed in pre-trial detention (for six of them) or under judicial supervision (for the other five)," the prosecutor's office said. The suspects all face life imprisonment.