The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Trial of Éric Dupond-Moretti: the Minister of Justice acquitted by the Court of Justice of the Republic

2023-11-29T14:28:32.311Z

Highlights: The Court of Justice of the Republic (CJR) acquitted on Wednesday the Minister of Justice Éric Dupond-Moretti. He is on trial on suspicion of "illegal acquisition of interests" He should have left his post if convicted, but the CJR's decision was kept secret. The minister is "not guilty of anything", his defence replied by pleading for acquittal. But a conviction, even "the lowest", would "be enough" to bring about his "resignation"


The Minister of Justice, Éric Dupond-Moretti, was finally acquitted by the Court of Justice of the Republic (CJR). He must therefore not leave


He will be able to stay in government. The Court of Justice of the Republic (CJR) acquitted on Wednesday the Minister of Justice Éric Dupond-Moretti, who is on trial on suspicion of "illegal acquisition of interests". He should have left his post if convicted.

The CJR's decision had already been made, even if it was kept secret: the judges had met in the wake of the trial, on 16 November, to deliberate. Before reading it in open court, the three professional magistrates and 12 parliamentarians from all sides who make up the court met one last time in the morning to validate the drafting of the judgment.

One-year suspended sentence requested by prosecution

The prosecution had asked for a one-year suspended prison sentence, saying it was "convinced" that Éric Dupond-Moretti had indeed been guilty of illegal acquisition of interests by opening, as minister, administrative investigations against four magistrates whom he had criticized when he was a lawyer - triggering an unprecedented complaint from the magistrates' unions.

The minister is "not guilty of anything", his defence replied by pleading for acquittal. But a conviction, even "the lowest", even "the most ridiculous", would "be enough" to bring about his "resignation", his lawyers argued.

Read alsoSuspicions of "illegal acquisition of interests": Éric Dupond-Moretti at the time of judgment

After this unprecedented trial - it is the first time that a sitting Minister of Justice has been tried - Éric Dupond-Moretti donned the costume of a minister as if nothing had happened, holding a series of meetings and trips. And as the decision approaches, his office is preparing its agenda for the weekend... Even if it means having to cancel everything if the minister is found guilty.

"We are litigants like any other"

The Élysée had not let anything leak about its intentions in the event of the conviction of the minister, who remained in office despite the indictment and the referral for trial. "We have a life like the others and we are litigants like the others and therefore we have the right to the presumption of innocence like the others," government spokesman Olivier Véran said Tuesday on franceinfo, referring to Éric Dupond-Moretti but also to the Minister of Labor Olivier Dussopt, who is currently on trial for favoritism. "That's not why the French don't trust politicians," Véran said.

Prime Minister Élisabeth Borne had ruled out in October the possibility of Éric Dupond-Moretti remaining in the government in the event of a conviction, citing a "clear rule" already "applied", in reference to Minister Alain Griset who resigned in 2021 after his conviction.

Read alsoÉric Dupond-Moretti's trial: "A ban has been flouted, a line crossed"

This Tuesday afternoon, for his last session of questions to the government at the National Assembly before the CJR's decision, Éric Dupond-Moretti did not choose to be discreet. In response to a question from a National Rally deputy, he launched into a violent charge against the "indecent demagogy" of the party, which he called on to "drive out of its ranks" the "identitarians, Nazis, racists and anti-Semites". Furious, the RN deputies left the hemicycle and Marine Le Pen announced "a complaint" against the minister.

During his trial, Éric Dupond-Moretti had shown himself to be equal to himself, not letting anything pass and subjecting the prosecution witnesses to a background of grumbles, exasperated sighs and indignant exclamations. "Excuse me, I'm a bit ebullient," the 62-year-old former bar leader apologized to the court. Before the CJR, he constantly swore that he had left his old differences with the magistrates "far behind", with only one goal, "to succeed in his ministry". The rest, he said, "I don't care."

Source: leparis

All tech articles on 2023-11-29

You may like

News/Politics 2024-02-29T17:03:49.881Z

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.