Status: 02.12.2023, 05:16 a.m.
By: Simon Mones
Parking can be challenging. It becomes particularly difficult when you have to park forwards. But with a few tricks it works very easily.
If you don't have your own parking space or call a garage your own, you know the annoying problem of finding a parking space. Especially in cities, this can often be an ordeal. Once you have found a parking space for which you probably need a parking disc or have to take a ticket, the next challenge is to park. Going forward, this can be a challenge.
Forward longitudinal parking: In seven steps in the parking space
One reason for this is the steering geometry of our cars. These are much more manoeuvrable when reversing, which makes parking much easier. However, if you want to drive forward into a gap, you need much more space. As a result, it is often easier to get into tighter parking spaces backwards than forwards.
Sometimes you don't have a choice and have to move forward into the parking space. © Steinach/Imago
If you do have to park longitudinally forwards, you should proceed as follows, according to the insurance company Cosmos Direct:
- Set your turn signals and slowly reduce your speed.
- Watch the flow of traffic.
- With a glance over your shoulder, check to the right that everything is clear and that no other vehicle is obstructed.
- Do not turn the steering wheel until you have passed the last vehicle before the gap. If you turn in too early, you run the risk of touching the parked car with the back of your vehicle.
- Give in strongly. The vehicle should be parked at an angle of about 45 degrees to the curb. Countersteer in good time before the curb.
- As soon as you stand in straight parking space, straighten wheels.
- If the distance to the curb is too great, correct it.
Forward transverse parking: This is how it works very easily
If you have to park forwards sideways, the following also applies at first: set the turn signals, brake slowly and watch the traffic carefully. As soon as it comes to parking, you should take the following tips to heart:
Anyone who drives tyres with the M+S symbol risks a fine from 2024
Car door frozen: How to get it back safe according to expertsread
Coca-Cola's Christmas truck tours Germany again: When and where to see itread
Ban on tyres with the M+S symbol: From 2024 onwards, there is a risk of hefty fines
The most beautiful cars of all time: Ten examples that fascinate usread
Concept cars of extremes: Ten spectacular one-offs that never went into series productionread
- Stop at the height of the last car before the parking space, using the left lane if possible.
- Your wing mirror should be at the same level as the rear light of the other car.
- Observe the traffic once again and look over your shoulder for cyclists.
- Turn the steering wheel hard and drive slowly into the gap.
- If the car is parallel to the others, steer in the opposite direction and straighten the steering wheel.
- If necessary, correct the distance to the other vehicles.
You can find even more exciting car topics in the free newsletter from our partner 24auto.de.
With ten more tips, you can also avoid scratches when parking sideways. When pulling out of a parking space, T-Online.de advises you to drive straight ahead until your feet are outside the parking space. Only then should you give in. Otherwise, you can leave the car there for a while. In principle, you are allowed to park in public spaces without restriction. At least as long as it hasn't been regulated otherwise.