One behind bars, the other under surveillance. A 19-year-old accused of assaulting staff at their sister's school in Isère with his brother on Tuesday was remanded in custody on Thursday by the Grenoble court pending his trial on 8 January.
His younger son, aged 17, was placed under judicial supervision by a juvenile judge, the Grenoble prosecutor's office said.
The eldest son was due to be tried immediately on charges of "intentional violence in a group", but his lawyer asked for the trial to be postponed to prepare his client's defence. The court ruled that he should remain in detention until then.
"Madam President, you're not going to do this to me!" said the young man, who had already been convicted in January of "aggravated violence". "This is the only way to ensure that there is no pressure on the victims and on your sister and to avoid the repetition of the facts," the magistrate said.
An "all-powerful" individual
"We are dealing with an extremely determined individual, with a feeling of omnipotence," pleaded the lawyer for several civil parties, Michèle Girod-Marc, describing the facts as "extremely violent" and "terrified clients."
"It's a trauma for the educational institution!" she stressed at the hearing, which was attended by the principal of the Jules-Flandrin secondary school in Corenc and her deputy, who were manhandled by the two brothers who also attacked a maintenance worker.
On Tuesday morning, their sister had "confided in her about the violence she says she is a victim of at the hands of members of her family," according to Grenoble prosecutor Éric Vaillant. The school's management reported the incident to the public prosecutor's office, which decided to place the girl in a foster home and open an investigation.
After the end of classes, the two brothers went to "ask the school for explanations," the prosecutor said.
Parents temporarily in police custody
At around 17:30 p.m., they had headed towards the school's administrative buildings and had been "particularly violent, trying to force their way through" when the head of the school and other staff intervened, the rectorate said.
They had fled when teachers present in class councils came out to block them. In the evening, the father accompanied them to the gendarmerie where they were "immediately taken into custody".
On Wednesday, a third brother, born in 2001, and the 55-year-old mother were also taken into custody to be questioned on suspicion of violence against the teenager before being released. The investigation into the violence is ongoing.