The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Protesters besiege Hong Kong airport


Forces in Hong Kong used batons and irritant gas to kick protesters. After the outbreak of violence on Saturday, many people gathered again - and besiege the airport.

Baggage car barricades, stones torn out: After the heavy riots in Hong Kong, many demonstrators gathered at Hong Kong airport again. The news agency dpa reported by thousands, the AFP news agency of hundreds of protesters who had gathered.

The train service to the international hub was suspended by the Hong Kong protests in both directions. Travelers arriving by bus were dropped off far from the airport and had to travel their luggage the rest of the way to the terminal. The feeder roads were also blocked.

Special forces arrive, demonstrators withdraw

A large contingent locked the entrances to the airport. Only travelers with tickets and IDs were admitted. When reinforcements arrived with special forces, the demonstrators left again.

The South China Morning Post also reports in its live blog about roadblocks that protesters have erected - as well as the risk of delayed flights. Hundreds of activists, many of them wearing respirators and goggles for tear gas, were walking towards the nearest subway station, Tung Chung, three kilometers away.

A video distributed by "Hong Kong Free Press" shows security forces chasing after past demonstrators in an airport hall. Inside the terminal, according to plan, it was not supposed to be demonstrated, but on the access roads.

Video: "Not to see how this ends here"



Over the past three months, there have been mass demonstrations in the Chinese Special Administrative Region, often resulting in clashes between a small section of the protesters and the police.

Many people fear a growing influence of the Chinese government on Hong Kong and a curtailment of their freedoms. They also demand an independent investigation of police violence during the protests. It was not until Friday that activist Joshua Wong, known by the umbrella movement, was arrested again. China threatened Hong Kong with a military operation.

Ring Yu / HK01 / dpa

Pepper spray against protesters in one go: China's rising influence fears

Already three weeks ago activists had besieged the airport, so that the flight operation had to be temporarily stopped on two days. On Saturday, there were serious clashes in Hong Kong between the police and demonstrators that lasted until late in the evening. Protesters apparently set fire to a barricade in front of a police station. For Monday, the first day of school in Hong Kong, a student strike is planned.

Read here: Impressions from the city after the forbidden demonstration.

Authorities have issued an injunction against demonstrations on the airport grounds. The police cordoned off entrances with high fences. An airport employee gave the order by loudspeaker.

Source: spiegel

Similar news:

You may like

News/Politics 2019-09-01T09:46:22.687Z
News/Politics 2019-09-22T12:28:35.077Z
News/Politics 2019-09-01T09:37:22.778Z
News/Politics 2019-09-02T09:40:23.200Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy