The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Canada has a problem with its nurses


The country's praised health system is leaking. Lack of staff because salaries are low and the working hours are marathon

Canadians have a labor problem.

There are 848,000 vacant jobs, according to a recent government report.

A sector particularly affected by the shortage of personnel is the health sector and, specifically, nursing.

It is a very sensitive area and the consequences of the shortage of workers irritate the public: emergency rooms closed on weekends in Winnipeg, upset patients in Montreal hospitals due to delays in care, or a slow ambulance system in Ottawa because many of the vehicles must queue to wait for someone to receive their patients are just some of the most bloody examples.

It is common practice that nurses and male nurses are required to do mandatory overtime.

They also have a large number of patients under their care.

“Stress and anxiety are very high.

We are afraid of making a mistake with the people under our care”, wrote one of these workers from British Columbia on her social networks.

In addition, some provincial governments flatly refuse an increase in wages.

In Ontario, the most populous province in the country, nurses have not stopped demonstrating against a law —passed in 2019— that limits salary increases to 1% per year for public workers.

It is therefore not surprising that many nursing professionals throw in the towel or seek shelter in less precarious environments (for example, in private clinics);

others think twice before entering the public network for the first time.

A 2022 report by the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions found “a 219.8% increase in nursing vacancies since 2017.”

Various provincial governments have launched initiatives to try to reduce the problem.

Study grants and a more accentuated reconciliation between staff and hospital administrators are part of these tools.

Also programs to recruit nurses and nurses in other latitudes.

However, this last measure is not without criticism.

Meeting with Trudeau

A key element to curb this shortage is to improve working conditions, especially by increasing wages and making workloads less heavy (for example, eliminating mandatory overtime).

In February, provincial premiers met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to discuss federal transfers to healthcare.

Currently, the provinces cover 78% of the budget and Ottawa the remaining 22%.

Trudeau offered some 31.7 billion euros for the next 10 years.

Provincial premiers, with no real room to negotiate, reluctantly agreed to the proposal.

Canadian healthcare—recognized throughout the world for its public, free, and universal nature—faces daunting challenges.

As if that were not enough, there is an x-file in the selection tests.

In September 2022, only 51.4% of people taking the Quebec Nursing Order exam for the first time achieved a pass.

In March of the same year, the rate was 71%, while in September 2021 it reached 81%.

An investigation has been opened to find out what is happening.

Here you can consult the latest Letters from the correspondent

Follow all the information on








, or in our

weekly newsletter

Subscribe to continue reading

Read without limits

Keep reading

I'm already a subscriber

Source: elparis

All business articles on 2023-03-25

You may like

Business 2023-03-25T10:36:40.027Z
News/Politics 2023-01-18T03:34:26.760Z
News/Politics 2023-03-13T10:53:54.725Z
News/Politics 2023-05-10T12:06:27.397Z

Trends 24h

Business 2023-06-06T16:41:27.914Z


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.