The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

"Act of sabotage" on an SNCF track: an investigation and gray areas


More than 600 electric cables were damaged by a fire that affected a signal box located in Seine-et-Marne, paralyzing the Gare de l'Est in Paris on Tuesday. An investigation for "willful degradation" is underway.

An "

act of sabotage

", according to the SNCF.

Tuesday, January 24, an investigation was opened and entrusted to the judicial police services of Meaux (Seine-et-Marne) by the city prosecutor's office for "

deliberate damage by fire and endangering others


Two boxes containing electrical cables linked to the SNCF rail network were ravaged by fire at a signal box located in Vaires-sur-Marne, paralyzing the Gare de l'Est for several hours.

Still according to the SNCF, the fire burned "

48 cable arteries

", destroying a total of 600 electrical cables.

According to the first elements collected, the incident broke out on Tuesday around 1:10 a.m. at the signal box located about thirty kilometers east of the capital.

Read alsoA series of mysterious fires affects several car dealerships in Eure

Cable hatches open and placed on the floor

On the spot, several facts arrested the police officers of the Noisiel police station who were first called to intervene around 4:30 a.m.

The hatches providing access to the electrical cables had been relieved of the concrete panels blocking their access in the case of the first box, or removed and placed on the floor in the case of the second.

Finally, the police found that an access gate to the SNCF tracks was "

open without any trace of break-in

", according to the Meaux prosecutor's office.

One of the hatches containing electrical cables damaged by the fire on Tuesday.


These facts suggest that the “


” in question probably knew the premises, acting discreetly and not having been spotted when taking action.

A hypothesis supported by the characteristic of the place where the signal box is located: isolated and without a surveillance camera.

More than 24 hours after the incident, no message of claim was noted by the authorities.

The identity of the suspect or suspects is unknown at this time.

Contacted this Wednesday by

Le Figaro

, the Meaux prosecutor's office indicated that it had no additional information to communicate at this stage of the investigation.

Source: lefigaro

All news articles on 2023-01-25

You may like

News/Politics 2023-03-08T17:43:06.845Z

Trends 24h


© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.