Social media platform Parler: "Outrageous content"
Photo: Jacopo Landi / imago images / Hans Lucas
After the violent assault on the US Capitol by radical supporters of the outgoing President Donald Trump, Google removed the online service Parler from its app store.
The controversial network allows "outrageous content" that could incite deadly violence, the company said on Friday.
Parler was recently used in particular by right-wing extremists who had previously been excluded from other online platforms.
"We are aware that the Parler app continues to post posts that incite continued violence in the US," said Google in a response to a request from the AFP news agency.
Apple also reportedly threatened the platform to remove the service from the app store.
Parler must take measures to prevent users from planning illegal, violent activities together, Apple demanded.
Since networks such as Facebook and Twitter have actively combated false reports as well as racist and violence-glorifying content, other platforms such as Parler, Newsmax and Rumble have gained popularity.
Among other things, supporters of Trump who believe his unsubstantiated election fraud allegations migrated to the platforms.
Facebook and Twitter blocked Trump's accounts on Friday.
The reason they cited was the risk of further incitement to violence.
Twitter not only blocked Trump's personal account, but also deleted messages on the official account of the President @POTUS.
Trump switched to these after his @realDonaldTrump account was banned.
Icon: The mirror
mik / AFP