Helmeted policemen, equipped with shields, in the middle of the quays.
The image is impressive and worried the passengers of trains at Saint-Charles station in Marseille.
The Marseille railway terminus was blocked for more than an hour Tuesday evening after "a big police intervention" in a TGV from Nancy, according to various sources.
“Following a call to the police, a suspicious individual was arrested on board a train at Saint-Charles station.
The area is frozen and checks are underway ”declared the police headquarters, adding that“ there was no use of weapons and no injuries ”.
❌⚠️ Marseille Saint-Charles station:
Following a call to the police, a suspicious individual was arrested on board a train at Saint-Charles station.
The zone is frozen and checks are in progress.
- Prefect of police of Bouches-du-Rhône (@ prefpolice13) June 15, 2021
Some passengers spoke of an "attack alert".
From a source close to the case, the police were "alerted to an individual likely to commit a malicious act" on board this TGV.
From the same source, this individual, after his arrest, allegedly said that there was "a second person" on board the train.
"We were informed of a major intervention of the police in a train coming from Nancy, they were looking for someone", testified to AFP the controller of a TGV connecting Paris to Marseille, while the Saint station -Charles was reopened to travelers and the public shortly before 10 p.m.
Something is happening at Saint Charles station in #Marseille.
- Damien Rieu (@DamienRieu) June 15, 2021
Two hours stranded at the station
Their train had been blocked for a long time before its arrival in the Marseille city, after having passed Aix-en-Provence, said this SNCF employee.
Malo, 22, boarded another train from Montpellier, also said that the train had been blocked in the middle of the track, before its arrival in Marseille: “We were informed that there were two fanatics who attempted a attempted attack, ”said this student, accompanied by a comrade.
"We were told that there were two madmen in a train and an attack alert," added François, a native of Agen, on board the same train that left Bordeaux.
The Saint-Charles station was finally blocked for more than an hour, between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. About ten fire-fighting vehicles, including at least one ambulance, were dispatched to the scene. In total, between 400 and 500 passengers on board different trains were affected by this incident, according to Cyrille Durand, spokesperson for SNCF Voyageurs in Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, who declined to comment on details of this event.