The Limited Times

Now you can see non-English news...

Explosion of phone charger causes fire and kills three people in retirement home in Spain

2024-02-20T12:10:50.671Z

Highlights: Explosion of phone charger causes fire and kills three people in retirement home in Spain. Sixteen other residents were hospitalized after suffering smoke inhalation. The fire broke out in one of the bedrooms on the first floor, and is believed to be due to the explosion of a faulty cell phone charger which caused a mattress to catch fire. More than twenty elderly people were transferred to other residences, five returned to their families while four others remain hospitalized for smoke inhalations. The national police are investigating to confirm the origin of the incident.


Sixteen other residents were hospitalized after suffering smoke inhalation.


A dramatic fire in Spain.

Three residents of a retirement home in Madrid died on Sunday, February 18, after a fire broke out around 7 a.m. in the residence, according to El Pais.

A 65-year-old woman died at hospital Sunday night, where she had been admitted in serious condition after inhaling smoke and suffering severe burns, the hospital said.

“Unfortunately, his fragility, age and more than 70% of his body surface burned meant that it was not possible to save his life,” Health Minister Fátima Matute told Spanish media.

Her death was added to that of two other women, aged 90 and 93, who also suffered burns and smoke poisoning.

All occupants relocated

The fire broke out in one of the bedrooms on the first floor, and is believed to be due to the explosion of a faulty cell phone charger which caused a mattress to catch fire, according to the management of the residence.

However, the national police are investigating to confirm the origin of the incident and whether the evacuation measures and fire-fighting system worked properly.

#Incendio in residence of mayors in #Aravaca@SAMUR_PC confirmed fallecimiento de dos mujeres y traslada a otra critica



10 leves trasladados por @SAMUR_PC #SUMMA112 y @CRE_Emergencias @BomberosMad extinguished incendio and rescued residents with @policiademadrid and @policia pic.twitter. com/4RCnFVxeVK

— Emergencias Madrid (@EmergenciasMad) February 18, 2024

Although the fire was quickly extinguished thanks to the intervention of the firefighters, the smoke which spread throughout the first and second floors of the building bothered a number of residents, many of whom have reduced mobility, who had to be evacuated.

Also read “There was no room to breathe”: the police officer who saved a pregnant woman from the flames in Stains testifies

Among the 38 occupants of the retirement home, in addition to the three people who died, sixteen were hospitalized in a condition that does not cause concern.

More than twenty elderly people were transferred to other residences, five returned to their families while four others remain hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Source: leparis

All tech articles on 2024-02-20

You may like

News/Politics 2024-04-07T20:34:37.289Z

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy

The information on this site is from external sources that are not under our control.
The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.