After passing Rosh Hashanah, the Ten Days of Awe, Yom Kippur, and even before that the month of Elul, we look to the next holiday on the list of Tishrei holidays - that is, the holiday of Sukkot.
This year, 2023, Sukkot will take place on Friday, September 29, and will actually apply to Shabbat times.
Sukkot. Holiday entry and exit times,
A bit of holiday walks
- The mehadrin who wants to connect a mitzvah to a mitzvah begins building the sukkah immediately on the eve of Yom Kippur. The sukkah should hold at least 3 sides and thatch, and its minimum size (size of Hasidism) should be 7*7*10 tapachim (length*width*height). From the essence of the law, it should be 56*56*80, and it should be 57*57*100.
- The walls of the sukkah can be made from anything that does not fly in the wind, except for sheets that are not wind resistant and are not kosher. In order to solve this and make it kosher using sheets, we place planks horizontally along each wall up to a height of one meter, with no distance of 24 cm between each plank.
- The thatch of the sukkah should be of vegetation, and detached, and Rino receives impurity in this way. Bamboo sheds ("forever thatch"), tree branches, palms, etc. are used. Do not awning with plastic nylon or cardboard paper.
Fabrics for upgrading the sukkah of Sukkot Jerusalem // Photo: PR,
The Priestly Blessing on Chol Hamoed Sukkot. Archive, photo: Noam Rivkin Fenton
- The sukkah should be awned in such a way that most of it is shaded and not mostly outdoors. It is best to connect the thatch to the sukkah using special plant wires (sold in hardware stores), but even those who connected the thatch with nails and iron wire - are allowed retroactively.
- When hanging an ornament in the sukkah, try not to descend to a distance of 32 cm from the ceiling of the sukkah (thatch).
Some of the four species: lulav, etrog, myrtle and willow
- Every man should buy the four sexes for himself and his sons. A small person who knows how to shake a lulav must educate him in the commandments of the four sexes, and if the father's hand can afford to buy him his own four species.
Archive photo: Gideon Markowitz,
Sukkot Nahalim. Photo: Aviv Kurt,
- It is commanded to bind the lulav with the myrtle and the willow in a complete knot, that is, two knots on each other. And in retrospect, even if he didn't bind them - kosher.
Wrong? We'll fix it! If you find a mistake in the article, please share with us