EL PAÍS offers free updates on the Arab-Israeli conflict. If you want to support our journalism, subscribe.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Turk, has insisted that "there is no longer a safe place in the Strip" after the resumption of fighting between the Israeli army and Hamas on Friday over the breakdown of the truce. "Hundreds of thousands of people are confined to smaller and smaller areas in the south, without adequate sanitation, access to sufficient food, water and sanitation supplies as pumps rain down all around them," Turk said. According to the United Nations, 1.8 million people — 75% of the population — have been forced to flee their homes because of Israel's military offensive. Meanwhile, the Israeli army continued to bombard targets in Gaza today for the third consecutive day after the end of the ceasefire. The attacks have killed more than 15,500 people in the enclave since Oct. 7, according to the Hamas-held Gazan Health Ministry. Palestinian militias have claimed responsibility for firing rockets into Israel, some at Tel Aviv, wounding five people. In addition, an Israeli medical committee made up of three experts has declared six civilians and an army colonel kidnapped by Hamas dead in captivity
- Photo gallery of the conflict
Bombardments in northern and southern Gaza leave more than 300 dead in the last few hours
Bombardments in northern and southern Gaza have left more than 300 people dead in the last few hours.
Back to top
The Israeli army expands its ground operations to the south of the Gaza Strip
The Israeli army's chief of staff has assured that his forces are expanding their operations to southern Gaza, an area where ground troops have not previously broken in. "We fought hard and exhaustively in the north of the Strip and now we are fighting in the south," army chief Herzi Halevi said after the evacuation of several neighborhoods in the southern city of Khan Younis, from where many Gazans are now traveling to the city of Rafah, was ordered to evacuate. In recent hours, information and images emerged on social networks that have not yet been verified in which Israeli tanks are seen in the southern area of Gaza and the northern area of Khan Younis in combat. (Image: EFE)
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 21:32
Pentagon confirms Houthi insurgency attack on destroyer in Red Sea
The U.S. Department of Defense has confirmed an attack launched on Sunday by the Houthi insurgency against its destroyer USS Carney and the British freighter Unity Explorer in the Red Sea. According to the statement, reported by the Washington correspondent of the Al Arabiya network, the US destroyer "initially shot down a Houthi insurgency drone in its direction while sailing through the southern Red Sea". The destroyer then observed that "a ballistic missile had been fired at a civilian freighter, identified as the Unity Explorer."
The missile hit the vicinity of the ship, which is Bahamian-flagged but operated from the United Kingdom. "Immediately, the Carney resounded to his call for help and, during the assistance mission, shot down another Houthi drone heading in the direction of both ships," according to the note. Sources in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz have confirmed the attack on this cargo ship and highlight that the British company that operates it is owned by Danny Ungar, son of Israeli commercial tycoon Rami Ungar, another of whose ships was intercepted two weeks ago. (EP)
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 20:39
Palestinian civilians flee Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on Sunday. / MAHMOUD HAMS / AFP
What has happened in the last few hours?
This is the most relevant news of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza at 20:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 3:
The UN denounces that "there is no longer a safe place" in Gaza. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Turk, has warned that "there is no longer a safe place" in Gaza due to Israeli bombardment and has claimed the need to undertake some kind of investigation into possible war crimes.
Four out of five Gazans have fled their homes. The UN estimates that approximately four out of five Gazans have had to flee their homes because of the war.
Israel has carried out some 10,000 air strikes on Gaza. The Israeli military has carried out some 10,000 airstrikes on Gaza since Oct. 7 against the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, a military spokesman said. "Since the beginning of the war, approximately 10,000 air strikes have been carried out" on the Strip.
More than 15,500 people have been killed in Gaza since October 7. The Israeli military offensive in Gaza, which began on 7 October following the attack by Hamas militants on Israel that killed more than 1,200 people, has resulted in the death of more than 15,500 people in the Strip. According to Ashraf al-Qidreh, spokesman for the Hamas-run Gazan Ministry of Health
A committee of Israeli medical experts declares seven Hamas hostages dead. Israel has declared some of those abducted by the militia as dead in captivity, a move designed to give their families an ending to mourn their dead.
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 20:00
Israel has carried out some 10,000 airstrikes on Gaza since the war began
The Israeli military has carried out some 10,000 airstrikes on Gaza since Oct. 7 against the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, a military spokesman said. "Since the beginning of the war, approximately 10,000 air strikes have been carried out" on the Strip. The soldiers "also quickly completed missions" in which they targeted "terrorist cells, terrorist infrastructure, command centers, tunnels, weapons depots, and more."
After the truce broke down on Friday, "fighting in Gaza resumed and soldiers continue the ground operation in full cooperation with the Israeli Air Force." This coordination with the air force is an important element for the security of the Israeli troops in their ground operation, which began on 27 October and led them to occupy northern Gaza and much of the capital Gaza. Added to this was the internal displacement that aerial bombardments and ground offensive have caused for 1.8 million people among the total 2.3 million inhabitants of the Strip, one of the most densely populated places in the world. The Israeli military announced today that its troops have found more than 800 tunnel openings in Gaza since the beginning of the ground offensive and that some 500 have been destroyed. (Image: EFE)
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 18:50
The UK's maritime agency claims to have recorded a drone attack in the Red Sea
The UK's Maritime Trade Operations Agency (UKMTO) said it had received reports today of a drone attack in the Bab al-Mandab Strait in the Red Sea. The UKMTO has assured that this drone incident has originated in Yemen, and has asked vessels in the area to exercise caution.
The Houthi rebels, a powerful pro-Iranian Shiite movement, took up arms in 2014 against the internationally recognized Yemeni government, controlling Sana'a and large parts of northern and western Yemen. Following the start of the war between Israel and Hamas, the insurgents announced on several occasions the launch of cruise missiles and drones into Israel in support of Hamas, and two weeks ago said they would prevent the movement of Israeli-flagged or Israeli-owned ships in the Red Sea.
On November 24, Yemeni rebels captured the cargo ship Galaxy Leader, which was carrying vehicles, and which is owned by a British company but operated by the Japanese shipping company Nippon Yusen (NYK Line). (Agencies)
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 16:51
A plume of smoke rises over northern Gaza on Sunday after several explosions in the area. / ATEF SAFADI / EFE
More than 15,500 killed in Gaza since October 7, according to the Hamas-controlled Health Ministry
The Israeli military offensive in Gaza, which began on 7 October following the attack by Hamas militants on Israel that killed more than 1,200 people, has resulted in the death of more than 15,500 people in the Strip. According to Ashraf al-Qidreh, spokesman for the Gazan Ministry of Health, in the hands of Hamas – an organisation considered terrorist by the EU and the United States that has de facto controlled the enclave since 2007 – the Israeli army has killed 15,523 Palestinians and wounded 41,316 since then, reports France Presse.
In the last few hours, the death toll in the Palestinian enclave has risen to 316. Earlier in the day, the figure offered was more than 700 in the past 24 hours, according to a spokesman for the Hamas-run local government in statements to Al Jazeera.
The Israeli Armed Forces have hit hundreds of what it considers "military targets" in the Strip in the last few hours, both in the north and in the south. The southern part is now home to approximately 1.7 million of the 2.3 million inhabitants living in Gaza, one of the world's most densely populated territories.
Among the areas hit in recent hours by Israeli aircraft is the Jabalia refugee camp (north), according to a spokesman for the Ministry of Health. According to him, Israel's attack on the camp – which had already been bombed on other occasions – killed several people and wounded dozens (he did not specify a number). Footage broadcast by Qatar's Al Jazeera television showed a plume of smoke in the camp, as well as a group of people, including a child, covered in grey dust among the rubble of buildings.
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 16:21
Luis de VegaJerusalem
A wounded man is treated on the floor of the Nasser hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, on Sunday. / HAITHAM IMAD / EFE
Chronicle | Israel maintains its strong offensive on Gaza despite US pressure to stop the killing of "innocent civilians"
The United States, Israel's main ally and arms supplier in the current conflict, continues to express its discontent with the evolution of the war in Gaza, which will enter its third month next Thursday. The differences with the Israeli authorities have become more evident since the warring parties ended a week-long ceasefire on Friday and resumed attacks on the Strip in parallel with the firing of missiles from that territory into Israel. In the past 24 hours alone, the death toll in the Palestinian enclave has risen to more than 700, according to a spokesman for the Hamas-run local government in statements to Al Jazeera on Sunday morning.
But the pressure exerted by the United States on U.S. troops to minimize civilian casualties and unblock humanitarian aid is not reflected in the way the army has resumed bombing after that period of calm. These take place not only in the southern towns of Khan Younis and Rafah, where hundreds of thousands of displaced people pushed by Israel from other areas have been settled, but also in the north, as happened this Sunday in a residential area of the Jabalia refugee camp.
Read the full report here.
ACT.3 DEC 2023 - 14:52