Le Figaro Bordeaux
For these tourists visiting Bordeaux, the discovery of French cuisine went very badly. On Tuesday, the prefecture of Gironde announced that several people were hospitalized in Bordeaux for probable cases of botulism, a rare but potentially fatal neurological disease. Among the nine people intoxicated, five were this Tuesday morning in intensive care.
Most "are of foreign nationality (USA, Canada, Germany). They have all frequented during the last week the same bar in Bordeaux, the Tchin Tchin Wine bar, "say in a joint statement the prefecture of Nouvelle-Aquitaine and the Regional Health Agency. "The suspected foods at this stage are canned sardines homemade by the restaurateur."
We have five patients admitted to intensive care, including four intubated, and three in continuing care, "said Benjamin Clouzeau, intensive care physician at the Pellegrin University Hospital, adding that "all these patients have benefited from anti-toxin treatment". Now, "their condition can potentially persist for several weeks," during which "multiple complications" can occur, according to him. "It's exceptional. In France we have between 20 and 30 cases a year. There we had nine, since one person went abroad in the meantime," he added.
" READ ALSO Rugby World Cup: an investigation opened for the rape of an Irish fan in Bordeaux
A disease that can lead to death
The last contaminating meal is potentially on Saturday, so we can expect the arrival of other patients for a few days, "he said. The doctor calls on people with digestive signs (diarrhea, vomiting) or vision or speech disorders, after attending the establishment concerned, to contact the emergency services to benefit from anti-toxin treatment "as soon as possible".
The departmental directorate for the protection of populations (DDPP) took samples in the establishment and all the canned goods were recorded pending the results of the analyzes, "within three days", specify the prefecture and the ARS. The property remains open but with reduced service.
Botulism is a notifiable disease (DOD), caused by botulinum neurotoxins divided into 8 types (A to H) that attack the nervous system and cause eye problems (double vision), swallowing defect and, in advanced forms, paralysis of muscles, especially respiratory muscles, which can lead to death.